Friday, October 28, 2011

Brits vs Tyne and Tees in Hold the Line!


 Tyne and Tees hold firm against the counter attacking Brits!

I've had these photo's on my phone for a while and finally was able to pull them off.  This was played to help us get ready for the OMG tournament so it's a little out of order with the other AARs.  Both of us were playing Infantry lists and were concerned with having to be the attacker.  We had played a game the week before there I was the defender for Hasty Assault and was able to pull out a narrow 4-3 win.  So this game I would be attacking Louie's Brits dug in Brits.  He was rocking something like this:

HQ
2 x Rifle platoon
Sherman platoon with 2 x Firefly's
4 x Achilles
4 x 25 pdrs
4 x 5.5" guns
AOP

I was playing with something like this:
HQ
2 x Rifle Platoons with 2 sections
2 x 6 pdrs with carrier transport
3 x UC Recce
2 x M10's with 17 pdr
2 x 17 pdr anti-tank guns
3 x Crocodiles
8 x 25 pdrs battery
1 x AOP

After doing some reading I decided that I would try the Brit special rule, "Night Fight".  So this was my first experience with night fighting and it was interesting.  I can see how this could be a huge double edge sword.




GROUND ORIENTATION
The objectives are on the hill far left and between the small central town and straight back towards the wheat fields.  My whole force is deployed with the infantry out front due to the cover of darkness.  Louie went with 2 platoons of infantry dug in around the objectives and keeping the Shermans in Ambush.

 Louie's Infantry dug in around an objective
The other objective secured by another platoon.
TURN 1
 The Tyne and Tees ready to advance under the cover of darkness
 Crocs and 17 pdr's preparing to roar up the middle!

6 pdrs advance on the flank 

Casualties
Brit
Nil

Tyne and Tees
Nil

TURN 2
Recce spread out to deny enemy ambushes supported by Infantry and Crocs!

 The Tyne and Tees are closing in on their objective!
Casualties
Brit
Nil

Tyne and Tees
Nil

TURN 3
Reserves start pouring on from the Brit side!
 Achilles advance to support the infantry

 The Tyne and Tees assault the dug in Brit Infantry killing 3 stands!

Casualties
Brit
3 x Infantry stands

Tyne and Tees
Nil

TURN 3
The Shermans spring their ambush in order to contest the objective!

At this point I became more of the defender with Louie fighting to push me off the objective.  I also forgot to take anymore pictures (my bad).  In the end I was able to hold the objective but it cost me an infantry platoon and the 6 pdrs so it was still a 4-3 win.  There really is a fine balance between having lots of platoons and having larger more survivable platoons.

No comments:

Post a Comment